I obtained this recipe from one of my aunts many years ago. It’s simple to make, and delicious to eat. Looks lovely on a dessert table for any gathering.
The recipe for the cake is prepared from the Velvet Crumb Cake recipe from some of the Original Bisquick recipes on their boxes. I’ll repeat the cake recipe for you here as well.
Pineapple upside down cake
- 1 and 1/2 cups of Bisquick
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk or water
- 2 tblspns butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Beat all ingredients above on low speed for 30 seconds.
- Then beat on medium speed for 4 minutes.
- Using an 8" square baking pan, grease thoroughly with butter. Now lay sliced pineapples across the bottom of the pan.
- Insert a marischino cherry in the center of each pineapple ring.
- Insert 1/2 of a pecan in all the spaces between the pineapples, and in the rest of the spaces around the pineapple slices.
- Now, sprinkle about 2 or 2 1/2 tblspns. of brown sugar over the pineapple/cherry/nut layer.
- After that you can put the cake batter on top. Then bake in a 350 degree, preheated oven for 30 – 35 miutes. If you use a 9" pan bake for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Let the pan cool about, loosen cake from sides, and carefully turn onto a serving place.
- I use brown sugar instead of granulated sugar.
- The baked cake, without the pineapple topping is an excellent base for strawberry shortcake. Especially when you use freshly mashed strawberries, and real whipped cream.