Over the course of the last two seasons of making gifts for friends I keep seeing the classic jelly which is called Christmas Jelly. Its a combination of red peppers and jalapenos floating in a sugar, cider vinegar jelly. It’s sweet from the sugar and savory from the two different peppers. I have made a version previously with dried apricots and jalapenos which until now has been my favorite but I came up with an idea that seemed like a natural combination for a pepper jelly. Sun Dried Tomatoes!
The sun dried tomatoes, best during the summer months gives this jelly a robust flavor. It still has the “sweet heat” but now the deep flavor of the tomatoes are a compliment to the jalapenos zing.
Here is the recipe. Enjoy!
Christmas in July Jelly
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup diced finely sun dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 2 pc. jalapenos diced finely
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 T. lemon juice
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 pouch liquid pectin
- In a stainless steel or enamel dutch oven combine all the ingredients except for the pectin.
- Bring to a full boil over high heat and boil hard for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in pectin.
- Ladle into hot jars, wipe rims, add hot lids/rings and process for 10 minutes at a full boil in a water bath canner.
- Makes 5 half pints.