Prickly Pear Cowboy Candy. Leiza who makes amazing prickly pear jam decided to switch up the pickled jalapeno and added a bit of the juice to create a new twist on one of my favorite recipes.
From Leiza: Thecactus are blooming now, but I canned juice to make peppers all year. They selllike crazy at the local rodeos and craft shows.
Thanks Leiza for your gorgeous contributions!
Southwest Prickly Pear Cowboy Candy
- 2 lb fresh jalapenos
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup prickly pear juice
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed (optional)
- To prepare the jalapenos you can deseed them or just slice the jalapenos. Mix cider vinegar, prickly pear juice, sugar, and mustard seed to boil. Reduce for 5 minutes to a simmer.
- Add jalapenos at the simmer for 5 minutes more. Load sterilized jars with jalapenos first and add liquid filling the jars leaving a 1/4 headspace. Process in a water bath for 15 minutes.
- Makes 4 pints.
- This is the Hawaiian Cowboy Candy with the prickly pear juice. Use the recipe above and add 2 cups of pineapple. Add equal amounts of the pineapple to each of the jars then add your jalapenos and then your prickly pear juice brine.