Tomato Rhubarb Chutney
The second recipe for Monday was on the burner once the Green Tomato Chutney was in the canner.
- 1 1/2 cups chopped, seeded ripe tomatoes (3 medium)
- 1/3 cup chopped onion (1 small)
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped red sweet pepper
- 1/3 cup dried cherries, dried cranberries, or raisins
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 up sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 T. bottled lime or lemon juice
- 1 t. grated fresh ginger or 1/4 t. ground ginger
- 1/4 t. kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup fresh rhubarb cut into 1/2 inch pieces or 1 cup frozen, thawed
In a large stainless steel, enamel, or nonstick heavy saucepan, combine tomatoes, onion, sweet pepper, dried cherries, vinegar, sugars, the water, lime juice, ginger, salt and garlic.
Bring to boiling, stirring occasionally, reduce heat. Simmer covered for 25 minutes stirring occasionally.
Stir rhubarb into tomato mixture. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Uncover; simmer about 5 minutes more or until thickened.
Ladle hot chutney into hot half pint jars, leaving a 1/2 inch headspace.
Wipe jars, adjust lids and water bath for 10 minutes starting timing when the water come up to a boil. Make 3 half pints.