Pumpkin cranberry bread
Pumpkin, which is of the Squash Family, is very nutritious as it is a rich source of beta carotene, a low calorie source of Vitamin C and potassium and is high in fiber.
- 2 1/4 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon of pumpkin spice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs (the good kind - organic brown)
- 1 cup Splenda (sugar replacement) brown blend
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 3/4 cups (15 oz can pumpkin)
- 1/2 cup safflower or olive oil
- 1 cup frozen or unsweetened dried cranberries
Combine whole wheat flour, ice, baking powder, pumpkin pie, spice, and sea salt in a large mixing bowl. Combine eggs, sugar, molasses, pumpkin and safflower oil and mix until just moistened.
Fold in cranberries. Spoon batter into 2 greased (use safflower oil) and floured 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.
Bake in preheated oven at 350 F for 55 - 60 minutes until pricked with a toothpick and it comes out clean.
Cool in pans for 5 to 10 minutes, remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Recipe makes 2 loaves.